Monday, August 25, 2014

An Intro to Siberia

Nobody believes you when you tell them you’re moving to Siberia. I guess most people don’t think of it as a real place. It’s more like today’s Timbuktu – it’s just famous for being really far away. But that fact, as well as it’s in Russia and it’s cold just about sum up what people usually know about Siberia.

If you’d like to know a little bit more, then you’ve come to the right place! I’ve put together a little question and answer using questions I’ve gotten over the past couple month:

You’re going to the middle of nowhere?”
       Siberia is the general name of Russia to the east of the Ural Mountains. It really just refers to the part of Russia that is on the Asian continent, which is actually most of the country. So technically, I could be going to the middle of nowhere, but I’m not. I’ll actually be living in the third largest city in the country.

“Woah, you’re gonna be really cold!”
         I’m moving to the city of Novosibirsk, which is in the center of the country and all the way south. I’ll be around the same latitude line as Edmonton, Canada (I looked it up). Just like us, there are seasons over there. In fact, this week it’s warmer in Novosibirsk than in New York – it’s in the mid-80s! But it is further north, so it’ll still get pretty cold once winter sets in. Don’t worry though, I have a heavy coat and plenty of scarves!

“Isn’t that where they exile people?”
         Back in the Soviet Union, that’s exactly what happened. Political prisoners were often sent to Siberian work camps when the government wanted them gone. But that’s a thing of the past and I’ll be in a nice apartment in a nice city and I’ll have internet. That’s not even close to exile!

“You’ll have to get one of those sled dogs to get to work!”
         First off, if I was gonna commute to work by way of dog, I’d need at least a pair to pull the sled. Secondly, if anybody would like to buy me a dog, I wouldn’t necessarily complain about it. Although I’m sure my landlord wouldn’t be so happy.

You’re moving to Siberia? You know that that’s not a thing that people actually do right?”
                Well it is now.

4 comments:

  1. I think you answered every single one of the question I asked you at least three times when you told me you were off to Skyberia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I could update your brain entry on Siberia :-p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like that you got right to this blog. Can't wait for more!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I had to do something during my 15 hour layover. I actually have another one started about the trip too

    ReplyDelete